- Performance Without Appraisal – When asked “If we eliminate performance appraisals, as you suggest, what do we do instead?” Dr. Deming’s reply: “Whatever Peter Scholtes says.” Read The Leader’s Handbooks, by Peter Scholtes
- Ford and Managing the Supplier Relationship – “Until they acknowledge what problems in their management system have caused them to fail to use sensible management practices that have been well know for decades I see no reason to believe their claims that they will behave differently this time.”
- The Dramatic Spread of Lean Thinking – significant part of why I care about management improvement. Yes management improvement should help us be more successful at work. But effective management can indeed “advance commerce, prosperity and peace.”
- Measuring and Managing Performance in Organizations – ” measure [parameter] in the hopes of improving [goal]
When dysfunction occurs, the values of [parameter] go up comfortingly, but the values of [goal] get worse.”
- 30 Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Rates – “One topic I am asked about frequently is mortgages (locking in rates, etc.). Often they are concerned about what a Federal Reserve decision to raise or lower rates will effect the 30 year fixed mortgage rate. Essentially the decision by the Fed won’t have any predictable impact” – Same answer with some updated data: 30 Year Fixed Mortgage Rates and the Fed Funds Rate
So why did I have 2 posts with selections of October 2005 posts? Frankly I think I just made an error last month and missed the first half of October 2005, then I made a mistake and started at the beginning of October when starting this post instead of the beginning of November. But I think in this case two mistakes lead to a decent result. I certainly think October 2005 was packed with good posts, but you can judge for yourself. The photo is from my trip to Glacier National Park.