What sort of bonuses should we pay? by Seth Godin:
He is right. Why salary bonus and other incentives fail to meet their objectives by Dale Asberry.
Lean Manufacturing Visionary Jim Womack On Frontiers Of Lean Thinking [the broken link was removed] by Jim Womack
- Performance Appraisal Problems by John Hunter
- For Best Results, Forget the Bonus by Alfie Kohn
- Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams by Tom DeMarco and Timothy Lister.
- Systems thinking – management by doing the right thing [the broken link was removed]
- Punished By Rewards: The Trouble With Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A’s, Praise, and Other Bribes.
- Free, Perfect, and Now: Connecting to the Three Insatiable Customer Demands – A CEO’s True Story by Robert Rodin and Curtis Hartman
Even with salespeople bonus are usually a bad idea, Deming’s ideas at Markey’s Audio Visual:
Commission pay and bonus often set up a conflict between what is in the interest of the company and the employee. They lead to bunching of orders around quarterly quotas, deadlines and competitions. They lead salespeople to think their job is to sell whatever pays them the most not to assist the customer.