Online Management Resources
Posted on December 5, 2008 Comments (0)
Since long before I started this blog I have maintained the Curious Cat Management Improvement web site. In fact, that web site has been online since 1996; the blog started in 2004. I feel the web site has tremendous resources for managers looking to improve the performance of their organization (or course I am a bit biased).
- The Curious Cat Management Improvement library includes hundreds articles, reports, training guides, blog posts… that I have selected. It is a great resource, that is underused in my opinion. Examples of what is available: recent additions, six sigma articles, health care improvement articles and management library search.
- This site includes portals on management topics, including: lean manufacturing, statistics and the public sector
- In Deming on Management I explore Dr. Deming’s management ideas. Many quotes and thoughts are attributed to him. Sometimes these represent his ideas accurately, and sometimes they do not. In this section, I attempt to clearly indicate what he actual said and include some of my thoughts on what he meant.
- The site started as a directory and now includes directories of management web sites by topics including: design of experiments, lean thinking and community quality organizations. In addition the site includes a management blog directory, calendar of events and management job listings
- From the beginning the site had a section on management books including: essential management books, Where to Start, George Box and search for books
- I added a management improvement glossary a few years back which I keep adding to (I include links to resources on each page), examples include: A3 Report, confirmation bias, evolutionary operations, jidoka, mistake proofing, PDSA Cycle, voice of the customer
- The site also includes biographies and links to articles and books by management leaders: Russell Ackoff, Clayton Christensen, Roger Hoerl, Douglas McGregor, Taiichi Ohno, Walter Shewhart, James Womack
It is a challenge to keep resources and articles updated as so many people break their web sites. It would be nice if people with website followed basic usability practices.