- New Rules for Management? No! – “New” rule: “Look out, not in.” What kind of rule is that? It is pretty obvious you need to do both. I find it incredible the amount of time that is taken trying to show “new” ideas that amount to absolutely nothing. See comments on: Fast Company Interview: Jeff Immelt.
- How Google Works – Google understands when you experiment things might not work out. Google’s solution is to experiment quickly and fail early (turn the pdsa cycle quickly). That is something every organization can apply.
- Quality and Innovation – For getting some good ideas about what managers/executives should understand about innovation Gary Hamel and Clayton Christensen (The Innovators Solution by Clayton M. Christensen and Michael E. Raynor, 2003) offer very valuable information.
- Usability Failures – if 63% of purchasers return your phone that you think “have nothing wrong with them” you have bigger problems than production defects.
- Motivation – Most manager focus on motivating people is wasted time and effort. Instead managers would be much more effectively used improving the system, learning, coaching, eliminating de-motivation…
Photo by John Hunter: Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, Kentucky.